Monday, October 17, 2016





Beginning
The moon drops one or two feathers into the field.   
The dark wheat listens. 
Be still. 
Now. 
There they are, the moon's young, trying 
Their wings. 
Between trees, a slender woman lifts up the lovely shadow 
Of her face, and now she steps into the air, now she is gone 
Wholly, into the air. 
I stand alone by an elder tree, I do not dare breathe 
Or move. 
I listen. 
The wheat leans back toward its own darkness, 
And I lean toward mine.

James Wright



I'm up at Mammoth Mountain, checking out the fall colors and recovering from the past few weeks. I don't know -- I'm feeling drained in a way I haven't in the past which I guess is to be expected. Up here in the mountains, the air is clear and biting cold. It rained in sheets yesterday, all day, yet I lifted my face to the water in gratitude. Rainbows arched over cloudy skies, and the cottonwoods' leaves are yellow coins, hanging on.

8 comments:

  1. I am glad you are somewhere where you can at least tune in to how you are feeling. Where you can listen to the rain, feel it on your face, breathe. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drink in the rain and the peace, Elizabeth. You deserve it. You are loved. x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing as restorative as being out in nature. That is not a cliche but a scientific fact. You are doing exactly the right thing.
    May the water and cold air and skies and trees wash your soul of sorrow, may they bring you back to your real true self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you are in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another layer of sorrow to wash away. You keep on, so incredibly strong. You need many beautiful breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are there with the cleansing rain and freshest air. Breathe deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just caught up. I'm so, so sorry to hear that Sophie was struggling and you two were in the hospital for so long. I can't imagine how draining. I'm glad you are getting some time to yourself and mother nature. Let her mother you a bit now. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photo! Nice to see your landscape, which doesn't seem that much different than mine (Saskatchewan) although we have no mountains. I was driving home today and on the horizon sat clouds so heavy (with snow, at least that's how it feels) that they looked like a mountain range.
    Outdoors out of towns and cities is where I find the most healing, restful places.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...